Krishnadevaraya built this
temple in 1513 A.D. to commemorate his victory over Prataparudra
Gajapati, the ruler of Orissa. During the battle he seized
an image of child Krishna and brought it to Vijayanagara as
war trophy. He then built this temple to consecrate the image.
An inscription describing the conquest and the consecration
of this temple on 16 February 1515 by Krishnadevaraya is found
on a slab in front of this temple. Built in the centre of
a courtyard, the temple possesses a sanctum, an antechamber,
an ardha mantapa, a circumambulatory passage, a pillared hall
with three entrances and an open pillared mantapa, in addition
to a number of other shrines for the attendant deities. The
sanctum is at present empty. The image of Balakrishna showing
him as a child holding butter in the right hand is now resting
in the Government Museum at Madras.
The inner sides of the entrance
exhibit beautifully sculptured Apsaras standing on mythical
animals and holding scrolls filled with panels showing the
ten incarnations of the lord. Like all major temple complexes,
Krishnapura, a suburb, is developed around this temple. The
bazaar in front is now a lush paddy field.